Thursday, August 9, 2007

people & sarongs

So I guess when travel by yourself and you are a talkative person you meet lots of people...and I mean other people like me traveling not native costa ricans.

yesterday I met a dudef from Key West who maxed out all his credit cards and came down here to party (his words, not mine) - he wants to blow 8,000 in 8 days - he was trying to find the "good stuff" and was amazed at how easy it was to get it. The entire time he was talking to me, he was scratching his body - I didn´t think he was off to such a great start - aye?

another couple i met reminded me of how my family aquired saddlebags island, but costa rica style. Their Dad had bought this ocean property 35 years ago and it is very remote and difficult to get too, but they have built a house and its sounds like the island in that, you have to work hard to get there, but once you are there its absolutely wonderful. He said Sting called last year and asked them to name a price - they said, it is not for sale - some things just do not have a price

I also have to say - that the sarong is the best travel invention ever!!!!!!!! - it comes in so handy, it can be a blanket, a sheet, a towel, a place to change -I was completely reminded of this when I stayed at this hostel. As some of you probably know, i am sort of picky about where i sleep. My sheet looked none to clean...so my sarong and the pillow case i always bring made for a somewhat peaceful night sleep :) peaceful if you discount loud rap music, and drunken 20 years old talking loudly.....

5 comments:

nealbook said...

Marge,

Make sure to ask all of these people you are speaking with for costume ideas!

Have fun!

by J.A. said...

Amy,
Ah! Where were the sarongs during our European month-long adventure? Might have helped in that Czech bathroom (of sorts). Enjoy! Thanks for sharing.

Jenni (Hartsig)

Unknown said...

i find sarongs come in useful for keeping out (or in) the tracking device signals "they" have implanted in my head

the sarong also does double duty as an emergency disguise for when i have to pass as a woman to escape "them".

also, after evading or defeating them i also find that a sarong comes in handy in cleaning up the ... evidence.

Chaka said...

I, too, am quite fond of wearing a thong. I'm glad to hear that they're gaining acceptance in Costa Rica.

A2Girl said...

who the heck is Bender????


Dave can you write me a love song about Sarongs and thongs???

Jenni - so great ot hear from you, if we went on a eurorail trip again, id be so much more prepared...first, i would have a decent pack, second, i´d bring a sarong!