Friday, August 10, 2007

rafting, jungle lodges, insects and waterfalls

Well on Thursday morning I changed the atmosphere of what I was doing - I went from a backpackers lodge to fancy schmancy white water rafting trip with amazing food

So, this was some of the best rafting I have ever done, it was absolutely fantastically fun. I got to ride in the front of the boat most of the time, which doubles the excitement - in addition to the rafting, we slide down water slides ( not as fun as it sounds) walked across a waterfall, again, not as fun as it sounds and go feet first down some rapids....again - not as fun as you would think. Who knew? I can hear Annette Rook answering that question by saying she would know....:)

When I was in New Zealand, we did something called sledging where we did go down rapids on a boogie board, which is essential to not banging yourself up...that said, it was thrilling to go down some rapids. I roughed up my good knee and my elbow...all in the name of a good time, so I am not sweating it

So that bit, was cool, vera cool in fact, but the best part of the trip was this amazing jungle lodge. Sheri and Paul stayed here on their honey moon and, they had mentioned how incredible it was, and in fact, it was. You two will be happy to know they have now added a fancy resturant type place, with a great view and lodge, and your scary honey moon suite, now has a swimming pool.....(the honeymoon suite is about a 10 minute strenous walk up a hill in the trees, far away from everything and our guide just told us he has seen jaugar tracks up there) Good times...

Anywho, the lodge was an eco lodge, and incredibly fun and great - from the mosquito netted beds to the showers and toilets....I can promise you I have never raved about a bathroom...but this place, certainly deserves it.

I am starting a collection of insect photos - this seems to be a bit of a thing with me when I go to tropical countries, I am always amazed by the size of the insects ' so far the biggest things are spiders, and these spiders take the african spiders I talked about, hands down....i don´t know if they are more dangerous...but they certainly are more plentiful and colorful....also the butterflies are pretty darn amazing- there is a flourecent blue one which I am trying to figure out how evolutionary that works....how would being bright blue help you survive....who knows, I am glad it has survived, because it is beautiful.

tomorrow, I am going to a little volcano and perhaps if i have time a buttefly farm.

hope this finds you all well,

peace,
A

ps I forgot to mention this thing that seems to be all over costa rica call canopy tours. Basically zip lines and rapelling through the forest, which is fun. I was with a family from France and they told me that this is the new rage in France and that they are actually very challenging. I wondered with her if they are not in the US due to liabilty....hmmmm

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Did you *have* to go and call me out as the biggest chicken that ever lived? Hee hee. Oh well, it sounds like you are having fun. Kudos to you on the bravery related to eco lodge potties, mosquito netting, monster spiders, white water rafting (eeek), etc. One word of advice- try to stay away from English speakers or it will be hard to learn Spanish. it is just too embarrassing unless you are absolutely forced to practice.
Enjoy and upload pictures when you can!
Annette