Thursday, August 16, 2007

Tsunami

well....

we were walking to dinner last night (i was famished) at 7ish pm and I ran into some british friends I had met who were walking swiftly away from town....when they urgently said
"seriously Amy, you need to get out of town a Tsunami is on its way...."

the next thing I know half of my group is running back to the hotel and it was only then that I realized that everyone from tourists to Ticos were moving quickly....you never see a tico move quickly, it just isn´t what they do, so I knew something was up....though I am not the person to think something is wrong until I hear it from a reliable source and in montezuma there were no so things...and for some reason, I thought they meant hurricane, and the weather seemed fine to me, so I wasn't too worried, but everyone was getting in cars and going to higher land and so I went and hoped there would be better info in the town we went too.....

we drove up to a little town called Capano, Because we didn´t have any information, I called my friend Sheri to put her on alert to call my folks incase a tsunami really did happen, I wanted them to know we got to higher ground, but at the same time I didn´t want to needlessly worry them, if that makes any sense at all.....anyway, we hung out and waited for more news....there wasn't a lot,but everyone was on the streets of this tiny town hanging out....

finally someone said that it was cancelled and we went to get some pizza....in costa rica time that took 2 hours, but by time we ate, someone had told the driver of our rental car that it wasn't really cancelled....it all seemed unclear, but the end result was we ended up sleeping on the floor of a warehouse of the local church with a bunch of other gringos, mostly german speaking people who talked half of hte night and a bunch of bugs... I can´t really think what kind of bugs but I will say they left their mark all over my body...nice.....anyway, my neck still sort of hurts...but in the end it just makes for another good travel story

that said, the earthquake in Peru was devasting and killed hundreds of people, so send good thoughts to the people of Peru.

3 comments:

Kathryn said...

Hello Klinkel! It's fun to read about your adventures. We missed you at the pool this a.m.-a perfectly lovely but chilly swim. I second an earlier commenters request for more photos. We want to see your room, your cohorts, and especially the hippies. I don't think Baby Pohemus will rest until he sees some hippies in rope sandals. . .it's some weird obsession w/ him.

A2Girl said...

montezuma has the slowest internet connection ever.....it is all dial up nad when you are used to dsl, its v. difficult to have the patience to upload photos, but I am going to teh big town of cobano tomorrow and will do it then!

I miss the pool, the ocean is too rough to do anything but get wet or surf, no swimming...at least not for this chica -

hippie in ropes??? explain...

how are your wee ones?

Chaka said...

That tsunami never quite materialized (I read that it registered ~ 1 foot in parts of the Pacific), but the earthquake that was to generate it cause a ton of devastation in southern coastal Peru.

I spent a little time in both of the cities that seem to have been hardest hit, Ica and Pisco, and I'm really saddened to think about how badly they've been hurt by this quake (death toll 500 and rising). If anyone wants to help, Oxfam always does good work, and they have a relief fund set up. You can reach it here:

http://tinyurl.com/yu6s9c