Friday, August 17, 2007

pace of life in motezuma

So....Dave wants to know about the hippies in Montezuma....well...this is a strange little place, this is the place were theTicos, (ticos is short for Costa Ricans), go to be hippies as well as the place for people around the world.

Montezuma is this tiny town of 500 people, and is almost a 50/50 mix as far as I can tell of Ticos and ex-pats....the expats are from Europe, America and south america...I would say that there are a constant of about 50 - 100 hippies...define hippie as you like who just hang out around town making jewlery, selling other goods.....goods that you may not have for that longmeaning ganga.....they are an equal mix of ticos and gringos, and honestly I can't really tell, they are all tan and skinny and many have dreadlocks...they are young and old...the one thing the all have are dogs...there are dogs everywhere,

I have a roommate right now named Monique from newport beach, CA who is a nurse who just quit her job and is learning spanish as well....she is very fun, but is done on friday, though i think she may hang around Montezuma for awhile, There are 2 law students who just took the bar and are here for surfing, there is another guy who is starting his freshman year in college and came to take spanish/surf lessons, though i think his dad wanted him to take the spanish and he wanted to take the surf lessons.....Another woman is finishing her grad degree at Berekely and is getting some spanish in before she is done, they are all great...I am staying at this place on a waterfall in an all wooden room, and 2 fans which actually make for great sleeping - I even have to have a blanket often.....my days are crazy busy, today I got up at 645 to go for a run, had class at 830 until noon, granted today it was on the beach, vera nice, now I am going to surf lessons from 230-430, then yoga from 5-630....then I will be starving, so we will eat at one of the 6 pizza places in montezuma ....

its a great little life for now

you all should come and visit!

photos tomorrow, i promise!

A

2 comments:

Chaka said...

Amy, I am a veteran (or should I say survivor) of two Rainbow Gatherings, so I know of whence I speak: you should stay far away from those hippies. They are known to be unwashed, and they believe in free love. They may or may not have jobs. Hippies will lead you astray, and they may give you ticks and scabies. Be especially weary of their tedious Phish and Widespread Panic bootlegs. They listen to this music in order to dance and groove naked, and if you hear this music playing, you can be sure that nearby there will be dirt, hair, frisbees, hacky sacks and ticks flying in every direction. Needless to say, you should never accept a ride in a minibus or VW bug (especially one with peace signs painted on the side). These are their mobile command units, from which they wage groovy war on the straight world. If anyone approaches you wearing jeans under a skirt, ponchos, rope sandals or ratty hair, run away before they can capture you and steal you away to their mother ship (Haight-Ashbury). Finally, you should always wear some soap-on-a-rope around your neck, as this charm will ward off the dirty unwashed, who can't help but keep a safe distance from it. Oh - and one more thing: watch out for their pet ferrets. They will bite you.

A2Girl said...

Ah yes, Dave, you have teh hippies described to a T, however instead of Jam Bands like the String Cheese Incident, they listen to raggaetone

They sell a lot of jewelry and ganga...though technically that is illegal, it doesn´t seem to be an issue down here....I don´t think these guys can afford a vw bus, but I think they live in tents on teh beach, have smelly dreadlocks, white guys shouldn´t do that...it just smells and looks like matted dog, but other than that...looks like they do okay...though they are look like htey need a sandwich, hmmmmm...could be a way for americans to lose weight...you think?