Saturday, August 11, 2007

La Puta?

So....today, perfectly minding my own business waiting for the bus to go see some volcanic activity at 9am in the morning. It was already steaming up for a hot day. I was standing in front of the bus station, patiently waiting.....and waiting....

Wait, before I move on with the story. I should tell you that I did seriously consider my clothing options for the day and I did think that I should probably wear long pants, as that is considered more polite. However, I am the girl from Michigan who wears shorts and flip flops in January....how could I possibly consider wearing pants in hot tropical heat?? Seriously....

so for all my friends saying...."When in Rome....." you can pat yourself on the back with an I told you so, because that saying was proven right once again. As I was standing there in my shorts and shirt (you can see what I was wearing in the photo in front of the volcano) this kindly old man walks by and pats me on my bare arm and says...."something, something La Puta".....and I of course, smiled nicely and said something indistingishable back, but i met his warm attitude with a similar one, then as soon as he left, I pulled out my translation book only to find that Puta means....Whore....yes, those of you who speak spainish already knew the moral of this story, but I certainly had a good laugh and took the lesson that was to be taught.

Of course, to add irony to the story, when I got to volcano, turns out its at 7,000 or 8,000 feet and I was absolutely freezing the entire time and wished I had on long pants and a fleece, in fact, I am still wearing that outfit because I am still cold....

life is good isn´t it :)

So, I am off to Montezuma tomorrow and will be in touch to let you know how that is going!!!

By the by, i met some women who just spent three weeks there and said the place I am staying is literally on a waterfall on the beach....and there is an organic resturant v. close...curious...Im not feeling like I am in a different country so much, except for the language...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Amy! Generally, I say beware the sweet older gentlemen in foreign countries. However, maybe there is another explanation for the horrid name calling. Perhaps he was saying something about your climb and "la punta". I remember from our trip to the Andes that sometimes people refer to a climb to "the point" when you are going up the mountain. Or, if he was leering while saying it, then maybe he was calling you his darling little prostitute. Let's hope for the best... Hee hee.

A2Girl said...

my guess is he was saying... you are dressed like a prostitute...probably proceeded by something about americans...its funny, even though I had shorts on, most women who wear pants leave NOTHING to the imagination and so the shorts, I think are more conservative....who knows...perhaps he was referring to the climb....that could be, but it does make for a better story to be called a whore....:)

Kathryn said...

I had a similar experience in S. America. . . I'm pretty sure I was wearing shorts--though it may have been long pants. Anyway, I was sitting more like a guy than a prim proper young lady and some old woman came up to me and very sternly told me to "put my legs together". When in Rome. . .