After we got started and my flip flop fell off in the process (I should have known then) it didn't take long to realize the waves were in fact, much, much bigger than I had origninally thought. In fact, they were in the 8 foot range....yikes. What made matters worse, aside from not being able to see over the waves in our little boat, were the rocks that were making a different sort of wave. So we had waves coming from two directions thanks to the rocks. It beckoned me back to my recent white water rafting trip in Costa Rica -where we had a blast going over huge rocks in our rubber boat that had vents for the water to leak to out of - sadly - on our trip - the water just came over the bow and stayed in the boat. This made the boat shift and sort in different directions which ever way the water went. I was really scared that we would just get plowed over by a wave. This was the point I asked Chris to turn around. He might disagree with me, I think he looked scared too- which scared me more - and he said if we turn around we would go broadside to the waves and that would be worse....I knew he was right- and so we just got through it luckily. It was only 10 minutes, but felt like an hour - It took us all night for the adrenaline to get through our systems....
What was also funny about the trip, was that my phone was in my bag and was acting up and it must have pocket dialed Sheri and Paul at least 15 times...they heard the whole thing and thought I was bing abducted or something - so sorry you two -
Thursday, October 25, 2007
I should have known better!
So - As usual my brother and I had a fun experience going over to the island on this trip. The waves were not 14 feet high though. In fact, it looked like it might be an adventurous trip, but certainly not one of the most scary rides I have ever been on. The waves looked to be about 2-3 feet hight.
From where we launch our 14 foot aluminum boat there is a small section of rocks in the middle that is now a larger section of rocks since the water is down so low.
Above is Chris driving us away from the island on a calm day and the other photo is inside our house where I sat all day on saturday and quietly read the final Harry Potter Book! it was quite cozy :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment